Friday 30 November 2012

Lifelines

Here's the plan:

I am to get 12 cycles of chemo-- 2 weeks on, one week off, over the course of a year. I have 10 cycles to go. During this time, due to the Irinotecan,  I will feel weak, nauseous, and have extreme abdominal cramping. I've already lost most of my hair, so 2013 will be a relatively hairless year. I get infused from 9am-12:30 daily, and am then left to my own devises, which usually means sleep and netflix. I want to find income of some sort & am (very tentatively) considering re-opening my etsy shop & sewing up some samples.

My bills from the epic one-week uninsured stay at Bellevue add up to over $6,000... I haven't looked at all of them, to be honest. You'd think for 6k I'd get better inpatient meals than a corn muffin and a saran wrapped piece of american cheese on a styrofoam plate, as I was served for breakfast one day:


If you'd like to help out with my egregious debt to the City of New York Public Health Services, please click the donate button to the right-- I need all the help I can get right now and I left my shame at the infusion room door. 


I had to cut off my hair a few weeks ago & it was more emotional than I thought it would be-- presumably because I hadn't cut my hair since it started growing back in 2009. That hair represented 3 years of remission, now gone. I saved the braids, I'm not sure why. I labeled the bag "RIP Kaylin's remission, 2009-2012".  It was a private affair, no camera or chemohawk, which would've felt cheap and exploitative to my tresses this time around. Something has changed. I'm no longer documenting my treatment with nervous excitement, I don't feel like making fun of everything cancer-related. I should change the name of my blog to "Cancer is Annoying as Fuck, Please Leave Me Alone (the cancer, not you)". 


pre cut

back to bald


So here I am in purgatory again, the space between. I'm resigned now to the idea that my cancer is a chronic affliction, something I will have to deal with on and off until I die. I am a professional cancer patient. This is my fate. On my left hand my lifeline splits dramatically in half, with each end arching in different directions, away from each other . When I was a kid I wondered what this meant-- would I be in a car crash half way through my life? Would I almost die? The thought was terrifying. Now I know: it represents life before cancer, and with cancer.

Now I just need to learn to live with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment