Monday 12 November 2012

nothing creative to say, just that a little cancer came my way.


Welp. Nothing lasts forever, not even N.E.D.

I have been diagnosed with a recurrence of my original Ewing's Sarcoma from 2008. This time the tumor is growing from my right lung pleura and is completely taking up the right side of my chest, pushing on my heart. It's roughly the size and shape of a dinner plate, which is to say... it's HUGE. Over the past few weeks I've had a chest tube put in (thankfully out now) to drain 3 liters of fluid from my lung. I've started chemo, which seems milder so far than what I went through three years ago. Still, the side effects remain, especially weakness & vomiting, my dear old friends.

Right now I'm being treated at Sloan Kettering thanks to the hard work of my dedicated family, friends, and... Medicaid. I cannot express how magical SK is, especially Pediatrics, where I am being treated. It's like the Disneyland of cancer wards. I feel I'm in the best, most capable hands possible.

My next chemo is on the 19th, just in time for Thanksgiving & watching everyone around me eat delicious food while I desperately grasp the puke bucket. Each cycle will consist of 10 days Irenotecan and 5 days of some other drug I can't remember. I won't know of any progress (i.e., is it working?) until after my second cycle. This will go on for 12 months, with breaks for radiation and surgery. Yes, I get it all this time!

I promise to keep you all updated, but please keep in mind-- sometimes I don't even have the energy to write. There is an apathy that falls upon you after your 3rd cancer diagnosis. I saw it happen with friends, and now I understand. Why bother to write this time? Haven't we been here before? Why am I suffering through this again?



No comments:

Post a Comment